Only in the last three months of pregnancy, you need to increase your daily calorie intake from 2000 to 2200 calories. The idea of eating for two means getting a healthy and balanced diet, not doubling the amount.
You can obtain the extra 200 calories from one of the following:
- A 150 ml glass of orange juice & large banana;
- A jacket potato with cheese;
- A 200ml glass of semi-skimmed milk & one slice of wholemeal bread with cottage cheese.
Your daily food requirements include the following:
- Vegetables & fruits;
- 2-3 portions of proteins, which you can find in foods such as white and oily fish, eggs, lentils, pulses, beens, nuts, meat, poultry, game, and etc;
- Complex carbohydrates (starchy foods) e.g. Grains,cereals, potatoes, breads;
- 2-3 portions of daily products, for example, milk, cheese, yogurt;
Fats found in rapeseed oil, oily fish(e.g. Mackerel, sardines, salmon, trout, herrings, and fresh tuna), and soya bean oil contain fatty acids, which are vital for your baby's brain development.
During pregnancy, your blood volume increases, so its important to keep up your fluid intake. Try to drink eight glasses of water a day, and some fresh fruit juice. Try to limit caffeine drinks such as tea, coffee, cola and etc.